This course explores the application and development of techniques used by enterprises for the analysis of business information. Throughout the course we will expand your knowledge of contemporary software tools and help you to gain invaluable insights into real-world solutions through our research groups, guest lectures and seminars.
On our Business Intelligence Systems and Data Mining MSc, your learning will be supported by experienced SAS-accredited staff, who will equip you with a comprehensive understanding of SAS business intelligence software.
You will learn about the Business Intelligence system concept, its application in organisations, and its relationships with other computer-based information systems – such as decision and management support, data warehouses and artificial intelligence.
We will teach you to review data mining methods and techniques available for effectively uncovering important information from large data sets. In doing so, you will develop an in-depth knowledge of data mining methods and gain practical experience of using the data mining software, SAS Enterprise Miner.
You will graduate with an accredited, industry-recognised certification from SAS and be well placed to take up management and business information systems development roles in the industry.
- You will be taught by staff with extensive experience of SAS who will provide you with expert knowledge and skills.
- Enhance your employability and gain substantial knowledge and skills in SAS business intelligence software, and work toward your SAS data miner accreditation.
- Benefit from years of research and teaching in computing technology to advance your skills in developing business intelligence systems and data mining solutions to business problems.
- Access specialist computing laboratories including a suite reserved specifically for postgraduate students.
- Attend guest lectures and seminars with guest speakers from SAS, to gain valuable insight into real world situations. You will also have the opportunity to gain exclusive free access to SAS UK forums.
- Enjoy excellent graduate prospects. Graduates have gone into roles such as BI/SQL developers, logistics data modellers, and insight analysts, at organisations including Cognisco, LLamasoft and Occam DM.
- Our flexible study options, including full-time or part time either on campus or via distance learning, ensure the course is suitable for recent graduates and professionals in work.
Structure and assessment
- Business Intelligence Systems Concepts and Method
- Data Warehouse Design and OLAP
- Research Methods
- Data Mining
- Business Intelligence Systems Application and Development
- Analytics Programming
Plus one optional module from the following list:
- Management of Information Systems
- Human Factors in Systems Design
- Applied Computational Intelligence
- Artificial Neural Networks
- The individual project module
Facilities and features
The Computer Science laboratories in Gateway House provide 80 computer workstations for students to use. The space is divided into four interconnected laboratories each with 20 machines (20 HP PCs running Windows/Linux).
There are printing facilities available, internal network access and digital projectors to aid your learning. All the machines are connected via the Faculty of Technology network to a dedicated, high-performance file server for storage and backup of students’ work. Many of the software packages are open source, which means students can download and run the software at home.
The Computer Science laboratories include a study area, in which you can work individually or in groups.
Our Learning Zones and the The Greenhouse also provide space for group or individual work and study.
There are 1,600 study places across all library locations, more than 700 computer stations, laptops to borrow, free wi-fi and desktop power outlets.
You can also book rooms with plasma screens, laptops and DVD facilities for group work and presentations, secure an individual study room with adjustable lighting or make use of our assistive technology.
The main Kimberlin Library is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (other than in exceptional circumstances) and offers a huge range of online resources, all of which can be remotely accessed from anywhere you choose.
The library is run by dedicated staff who offer additional support to students, including help with academic writing, research strategies, literature searching and reference management and assistive technology, and mathematical skills for non-maths students. There is also a Just Ask service for help and advice, available via email or telephone.
Opportunities and careers
This is our innovative international experience programme which aims to enrich your studies and expand your cultural horizons – helping you to become a global graduate, equipped to meet the needs of employers across the world.
Through #DMUglobal, we offer a wide range of opportunities including on-campus and UK activities, overseas study, internships, faculty-led field trips and volunteering, as well as Erasmus+ and international exchanges.
This course prepares graduates for business intelligence and data mining roles within any target industry. There is a very high market demand for SAS expertise, and our graduates will be able to take up such opportunities. You will also be well placed to take up more general management and business information systems development roles within industry, and to undertake academic research in this field.
Zobacz więcej na stronie uniwersytetu >>
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>