Technology and computer systems are becoming ever more integrated with our day-to-day lives, meaning the protection of all the data and information they contain is paramount.
With many organisations and businesses now considering the protection of online information a critical business issue, there’s an increased focus and demand on the role of cyber security.
The specialist techniques taught as part of this course will help prepare you for a career in a rapidly growing industry which is currently faced with a shortage of skills.
Our graduates have progressed into careers in industry, government and law enforcement, as security analysts, penetration testers, forensic investigators and cyber security engineers, at organisations such as Deloitte, Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), Airbus, and Rolls-Royce.
- DMU has been named a gold standard ‘Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Education’ by the leading authority on cyber security in the UK, the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) – part of GCHQ. DMU is the first university in the East Midlands to achieve this prestigious status.
- This course is taught by experts from DMU’s Cyber Technology Institute, which boasts an international reputation in computer security and digital forensics, influencing the approach taken by the UK government and leading organisations.
- Study modules on cryptography, penetration testing and professionalism in forensics and security.
- Gain valuable industry experience by undertaking a placement, with students taking up placements at Airbus, GCHQ, and Vauxhall Motors.
- Benefit from specialist forensic and security laboratories, fitted with customised PCs configured with multiple operating systems, virtualisation and removable hard drives.
- Our DMU Global programme offers students the opportunity to have a valuable international experience as part of their studies. Cyber Security students recently gained insights into San Francisco’s tech industry, while others put their skills to the test at New York’s Spyscape museum.
- DMU has been recognised for conducting world-leading cyber security research, having been named the East Midlands’ first ‘Academic Centre of Excellence in Cyber Security Research’.
Structure and assessment
- Programming in C (1 + 2)
- Computer Ethics
- Computer Law and Cyber Security Management
- Operating Systems
- Computer Networks
- Mathematics for Computation
- Database Design & Implementation
- Research Methods
- Web Application Development
- Windows Forensics
- Linux Security
- Cyber Threat Intelligence and Incident Response
- Penetration Testing
- Final Year Project
- Professionalism in Forensics and Security
- Emergent Topics in Security; Malware Analysis
Facilities and features
Cyber Security Laboratories
The Cyber Security Laboratories are among the best equipped facilities of this type in the UK. Developed in consultation with leaders in the industry, they are designed to meet the highest forensics and security standards.
The laboratories contain 65 high-spec, specially customised PCs configured with multiple operating systems, virtualisation and removable hard drives, as well as specialised servers, wired and wireless networking equipment and a wide variety of other hardware and software components.
Cyber Security Centre
The laboratories are also the base for the University’s Cyber Security Centre (CSC), a multidisciplinary group of academics and industry experts who focus on a wide variety of cyber security and digital forensics issues. Their mission is to provide the full benefits to all of a safe, secure and resilient cyberspace.
The laboratories play a vital role in the group’s research and development work. Whether you are a first year undergraduate or a PhD student, within the laboratories you will be working with the latest tools and techniques at the forefront of computer forensics and security research.
The current home of De Montfort Students’ Union (DSU), Campus Centre, has been completely refurbished to create a state-of-the-art environment for DSU improving the student experience.
The new-look Campus Centre is the hub for student life, on the ground floor is a convenience store, a Subway and a Starbucks. There is also the DSU-owned charitable accommodation service Sulets and SUpplies, DSU’s shop, selling art supplies stationary and clothing, and offering printing and binding services.
Opportunities and careers
This programme has been developed for students that want to pursue a career in industry, government or law enforcement as a security analyst, penetration tester, forensic investigator, or cyber security engineer. Previous graduates from our cyber security programmes went on to work for organisations such as Deloitte, GCHQ, Airbus and Rolls-Royce.
This is our innovative international experience programme which aims to enrich your studies and expand your cultural horizons – helping you to become a global graduate, equipped to meet the needs of employers across the world.
Through #DMUglobal, we offer a wide range of opportunities including on-campus and UK activities, overseas study, internships, faculty-led field trips and volunteering, as well as Erasmus+ and international exchanges.
Our #DMUglobal High Flyers Award offers students a discount of up to £1,000 towards a #DMUglobal opportunity (terms and conditions apply).
Placements can enhance your career prospects and give you the chance to use theory from the classroom in a real-world scenario before you have graduated.
Technology’s dedicated Placement Unit provides support to all of our students looking to integrate a placement within their university career on both undergraduate degrees and postgraduate masters programmes. The placement unit will help you search for placement opportunities, create and refine your CV and interview approach, and offer any advice you need to find a great placement.
Students of this course have recently taken part in work placements at Airbus, ECSC Ltd, CY4OR Ltd, Viglen Ltd, Syngenta, Jagex Ltd and Capgemini UK.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>