As part of the global fashion industry, the fashion stylist and communicator creates visual stories, employs technologies and exploits promotional platforms. You’ll learn how to engage with audiences and tell ‘style stories’ to transform fashion products from just objects into modern must-have trends.
You’ll become proficient in visual research, illustration and storyboarding, and project management. You’ll work collaboratively with peers and industry experts and foster a network of future career contacts and opportunities.
- We have been recognised as one of the most sustainable fashion and textiles schools in the country as winners of the Next Generation Learning and Skills Award in the Green Gown Awards 2021.
- Learn about the technical elements of successful event styling and production – including the creation of image, film and graphics.
- Gain the skills and confidence you’ll need to act as a consultant to industry partners, including fashion brands, fashion media and event organisations.
- Study a wide and practical range of topics including computer-aided design (CAD), photography and video for fashion, concept building, and fashion illustration.
- Cover areas including visual research, illustration, storyboarding, audience analysis, styling, photography, fashion graphics and film, editorial development, event styling and production, freelance/self-employment skills and project management.
- Take part in national and international competitions to gain experience of working to a client brief and benefit from raising your profile within the industry.
- Graduates can expect to flourish in careers within the fashion styling and communication industries as journalist contributors, media commentators, promoters, editors or stylists, and with big fashion brands and media groups.
- The award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space and the facilities to foster creative thinking, where ideas can develop and flourish for all our art and design students.
Structure and assessment
- Fashion Styling
- Communication Creation
- Visuals and Illustration
- Design Cultures 1
- Concept to Consumer
- Fashion Event Styling
- Image and Moving Image
- Design Cultures 2
- Professional and Promotional Practice
OPTIONAL Placement Year
- Fashion Communication Consultancy
- Personal Employability and Portfolio Proposal
- Design Cultures 3
- Major Project: Communication and Styling
Facilities and features
Art and design facilities
The programme is based in the new Vijay Patel building at De Montfort University which has been designed and built especially for art and design subject environments. The building’s infrastructure facilitates collaboration and opens up opportunities you may not have thought of before.
Based within the subject of fashion, in the School of Design, the programme also works with the School of Visual Arts where you will experience learning the techniques of and working in the photography and video media suites and digital presentation environments.
The main Kimberlin Library is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (other than in exceptional circumstances) and offers a huge range of online resources, all of which can be remotely accessed from anywhere you choose.
The library is run by dedicated staff who offer additional support to students, including help with academic writing, research strategies, literature searching and reference management and assistive technology, and mathematical skills for non-maths students. There is also a Just Ask service for help and advice, available via email or telephone.
Our Learning Zones and the The Greenhouse also provide space for group or individual work and study.
There are 1,600 study places across all library locations, more than 700 computer stations, laptops to borrow, free wi-fi and desktop power outlets.
You can also book rooms with plasma screens, laptops and DVD facilities for group work and presentations, secure an individual study room with adjustable lighting or make use of our assistive technology.
Opportunities and careers
As part of the programme you will work as an individual, collaboratively with others with the possibility to act as a consultant to external partners. These collaborations and consultation will be with a range of audiences including peers, event organisations, fashion media and fashion brands. Each new project and collaboration promotes your skills and abilities but also builds your network of future potential employers, clients and fashion business connections.
You also will take part in national and international competitions to give you exposure and experience of working to a client’s brief and to further build your external reputation with industry before you even graduate.
#DMUglobal is an international experience programme for De Montfort University students, which aims to enrich studies, broaden cultural horizons and to develop key skills valued by employers. Through #DMUglobal, the university offers a wide range of international opportunities such as:
- Academic-led trips
- Erasmus+ and International Exchange
- Mass trips
- Summer schools
- Internships and Placements
- UK activities (including language learning)
As part of DMU’s dedication to providing an unrivalled student experience and excellent employability, #DMUglobal is set to become the most comprehensive international experience programme available at any UK university.
The fashion industry has an increasing need for talent in the wider areas of styling, concept and image. Successful graduates of the course are expected to go on to careers within the fashion styling and communication industries as:
- Journalist contributors
- Media Commentators Promoters
- Editors Stylists
- Show producers
- Art directors
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>