The range of the fashion industry is reflected in this course, which encourages you to experiment with designs, materials and garment making processes while increasing your knowledge of the latest textile technologies and processes.
You will develop your own individual style as you explore related disciplines such as photography, screen-printing and illustration, and will also have the opportunity to respond to real industry briefs and implement live projects with leading fashion designers.
The course also looks at the relationship between fashion design, history and contemporary debates in fashion and the wider visual world, a relationship that will allow you to explore your own creative direction.
If you have completed an appropriate foundation degree or HND, you can join this course at stage three.
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Learn the specialised design and craft skills you will need to make your mark in the domestic or international fashion industry
- Study in a dedicated, stimulating and lively studio environment with a sewing machine for every student
- Develop an individual creative approach to the design and manufacture of a wide range of garments
- Gain experience in the use of digital photography and pattern cutting, computer aided design and high quality screen printing
- Explore the multi-cultural and international contexts that can support your design and making ideas
- Challenge the established designers as you prepare a garment collection and showcase your work on the runway at our Graduate Fashion Show
- Benefit from the development of design and manufacturing skills that are transferable within the fashion industry
Employability skills are integrated into the course and provide you with an awareness of the real-world context of the creative industries in general and Fashion Design in particular. You will be helped to develop a strategy for obtaining appropriate employment at the end of your course.
Professional practice will be emphasised as part of all learning units but a work-related learning unit especially will help you to become more focused on managing your career.
You will be helped with the preparation of a professional portfolio; including a CV and social media skills needed to promote yourself in the art and design world.