From the logo on a packet of chewing gum to the branding on a jumbo jet, our world is dominated by graphic design.
This course will give you a grounding in the significance of design on our globalised world, with a particular focus on its social, cultural and environmental impact.
You’ll study the designer as a creator of meaning in visual form, and through a range of different personal and group-led projects, you’ll engage with aspects of graphic design practice such as typography, image production, illustration, editorial design and art direction.
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Learn to engage in analytical, reflective and creative thinking as you consider the artistic and cultural contexts associated with graphic design
- Study in small, lively and committed groups, in well-equipped state-of-the-art studios
- Develop a fresh understanding of how social media and increasing information flows have transformed the role of the graphic designer
- Gain insights into the standards you’ll need to attain as you prepare for the world of professional employment
- Explore the ways digital media has created new possibilities for producing, distributing and publishing graphic design work
- Challenge current thinking on the role of the designer in society though a critical analysis of contemporary practice and cultural history
- Benefit from learning the team-working skills required for exhibition curation and group collaborations
Employability skills are integrated into the course and provide you with an awareness of the real-world context of the creative industries in general and Graphic Design in particular. You will be helped to develop a strategy for obtaining appropriate employment at the end of your course.
Professional practice will be emphasised as part of all learning units but a work-related learning unit especially will help you to become more focused on managing your career.
You will be helped with the preparation of a professional portfolio; including a CV and social media skills needed to promote yourself in the art and design world.