The four-year Master of Engineering (MEng) Civil Engineering degree, the highest award for undergraduate study in engineering, is designed for more able students and fully satisfies the educational base for a Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Combining our BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering degree with Masters-level material, it allows you to further distinguish yourself with an advanced set of professional and technical skills. An MEng also removes the need to source further funding to study a Master’s. On completion, you will be better placed to compete in the graduate jobs market and enter more demanding and rewarding roles.
On our MEng Civil Engineering course, you’ll study core topics such as mathematics, structures, materials, geotechnics, hydraulics and surveying. Threads of design, sustainability, health and safety, and professionalism are also embedded in the course. You’ll learn how to use industry-standard software for the design and construction of civil engineering projects. There are also opportunities for field trips and work placements.
What you will study
For the first three years, you will study alongside those on the BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering course. This will give you the opportunity to learn fundamental engineering principles, further develop your knowledge and skills and gain an appreciation for concepts relevant to civil engineering.
You’ll study core topics such as mathematics, structures, materials, geotechnics, hydraulics and surveying. Threads of design, sustainability, health and safety, and professionalism are also embedded in the civil engineering course. Your dissertation enables you to tailor your qualification to the area of industry you want to work in.
Year One: MEng Civil Engineering degree
In your first year, you will learn fundamental engineering principles. You will explore the relevance of mathematics in engineering and gain an appreciation of issues in construction management, materials and the environment.
- Conceptual Modelling and Sustainable Design – 20 credits
- Mathematics for Engineers – 20 credits
- Engineering Mechanics 1 – 20 credits
- Site Practice and Surveying – 20 credits
- Construction Materials – 20 credits
- Thermo-Fluid Mechanics – 20 credits
Year Two: MEng Civil Engineering degree
In year two, you’ll have an opportunity to apply the principles learned in year one through a series of modules covering materials and structures, hydraulics and surveying. In both your first and second years, you will attend practical field courses covering subject areas such as engineering, surveying and geology/geotechnics.
- Civil Engineering Practice – 20 credits
- Geotechnics and Engineering Geology – 20 credits
- Mechanics of Materials and Structures – 20 credits
- Analytical and Numerical Methods – 20 credits
- Engineering Surveying and Highway Design – 20 credits
- Hydraulics and Engineering Hydrology – 20 credits
Year Three: Civil Engineering degree
In your final year, you will focus on the analysis, design and implementation of engineering systems, and sustainability in civil engineering. You will have the opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge of geotechnical concepts to practical design and construction problems. Finally you will undertake an individual project which gives you the chance to apply your technical knowledge.
- Individual Dissertation – 20 credits
- Structural Engineering – 20 credits
- Geotechnics – Analysis and Design – 20 credits
- Civil Engineering Management and Business – 20 credits
- Hydraulics and Environmental Engineering – 20 credits
- Construction Law and ADR 20
Year Four: MEng Civil Engineering degree
- Advanced Structural Analysis and Structural Concrete Design – 20 credits
- Geo-environmental Engineering – 20 credits
- Integrative Group Project – 40 credits
Plus 40 credits of optional modules:
- NG4S101 Advanced Civil Engineering Materials – 20 credits
- NG4H101 Seismic Analysis and Design to Eurocodes – 10 credits
- NG4H102 Structural Timber and Masonry Design to Eurocodes 10 credits
- NG4S109 Low Carbon Technologies and Sustainability – 20 credits
- NG4S115 Further Advanced Structural Analysis and Steel/Composite Design 20 credits
Our Civil Engineering lecturers are experts in their subject areas, having worked in, or with, industry, conducting research, presenting at conferences, publishing their work, and informing your studies with the latest insights. Not only will you be taught by academics who are specialists in their fields, but you will also benefit from guest speakers from the engineering world.
You will learn through lectures, which are supported by tutorials, practical sessions and seminar groups. Wherever possible, your work will be based on live projects and case studies, with contributions from industry professionals.
Most project modules are based on ‘live’ schemes, supported by guest lectures from professional engineers. This ensures you receive an in-depth briefing on many aspects of real-life construction
The MEng Civil Engineering degree is assessed through assignments, coursework, ongoing class tests and exams. Presentations are included as elements of assessments in some modules, in order that key communication and presentation skills can be developed.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>