This is a modern mechanical engineering degree that is relevant to a range of industries. You could design, analyse, research and test anything from wind turbines to turbojet engines.
The four-year Master of Engineering (MEng) course is the highest award for undergraduate study in engineering and is designed for more able students. Combining our BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering degree with Masters-level material, it allows you to further distinguish yourself with an advanced set of professional and technical skills. The Mechanical Engineering course also removes the need to source further funding to study a Masters-level qualification.
On completion, you will be better placed to compete in the graduate jobs market and enter more demanding and rewarding roles. The MEng degree is also ideal if you want to become a registered Chartered Engineer as it meets the Engineering Council’s educational requirements to gain Chartered Engineer (CEng) status – the highest standard within the industry.
What you will study
For the first three years, you will study alongside those on the BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering degree. This will give you the opportunity to learn fundamental engineering principles, further develop your knowledge and skills and gain an appreciation for concepts relevant to mechanical engineering. In your fourth year, your additional year of study, you will apply what you’ve already learned on a substantial project.
Year One: MEng Mechanical Engineering degree
- Mathematics for Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineers – 20 credits
- Design and Manufacture – 20 credits
- Engineering Computing Applications – 20 credits
- Engineering Mechanics 1 – 20 credits
- Electrical Science – 20 credits
- Thermofluids 1 – 20 credits
Year Two: MEng Mechanical Engineering degree
- Further Mathematics for Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineers – 20 credits
- Sustainable Engineering Design – 20 credits
- Engineering Mechanics 2 – 20 credits
- Control and Instrumentation – 20 credits
- Thermofluids 2 – 20 credits
- Engineering Materials – 20 credits
Year Three: MEng Mechanical Engineering degree
- Individual Project (BEng) – 40 credits
- Thermofluids 3 – 20 credits
- Engineering Computational Analysis – 20 credits
- Manufacturing Systems – 20 credits
- Mechanics and Control – 20 credits
Year Four: MEng Mechanical Engineering degree
- Strategic Leadership and Management for Engineers – 20 credits
- Integrative MEng Group Project – 40 credits
- Further Engineering Materials – 10 credits (optional)
- Advanced Materials and Manufacture – 10 credits
- Fatigue and Fracture – 10 credits (optional)
- Industrial Heating Processes – 10 credits
- Further Finite Element Analysis – 10 credits (optional)
- Further Computational Fluid Dynamics – 10 credits (optional)
- Non-destructive Testing – 10 credits (optional)
- Research Methods for Engineers – 10 credits (optional)
- Safety Health and Environmental Engineering – 20 credits (optional)
- Independent Study for Engineers – 20 credits (optional)
- Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer – 20 credits (optional)
- Strategic Leadership and Management for Engineers – 20 credits (optional)
Supervised Work Experience (year out in industry) – 120 credits
You will learn via lectures, tutorials and seminars. As well as this, you will spend time keeping up-to-date on current issues within the engineering industry. You will also learn through practical work, group projects and a final year project, plus industry visits to companies such as GE Aircraft Engine Services, The Royal Mint and local businesses.
We have excellent links with employers in Wales, the UK and beyond. Through regular consultation with practising professionals, we keep our courses up-to-date with industry standards. Our strong links also mean you’ll have opportunities for site visits, industrial placements and, for students on sandwich courses, practitioner mentoring. Our lecturers are experts in their subject areas, having worked in, or with, industry, conducting research, presenting at conferences, publishing their work, and informing your studies with the latest insights. Not only will you be taught by academics who are specialists in their fields, but you will also benefit from guest speakers from the engineering world
The MEng Mechanical Engineering degree is assessed through assignments, coursework, ongoing class tests and exams. Presentations are included as elements of assessments in some modules, in order that key communication and presentation skills can be developed.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>