Midwifery is a diverse role – involving more than just delivering babies. As a qualified midwife, you will be the main contact for an expectant mother throughout pregnancy, labour and the postnatal period, supporting her family as well. So you will need to be able to recognise and respond to her physical, psychological, cultural and socio-economic needs. Midwives also play a wider role in public health within primary and secondary care settings, including sexual health promotion.
This degree, spanning 45 weeks each year, prepares you for professional practice through role play and scenario-based learning, spending half your time in University and half on a placement, supported by a registered midwife.
Successful completion of this course leads to the award of both an Honours degree and registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council as a midwife, allowing you to practice as a professional midwife.
The NHS constitution brings together details of what staff, patients and the public can expect from the National Health Service. It sets out the principles and values that guide how the NHS should act and make decisions. The NHS Constitution states that the NHS „aspires to the highest standards of excellence and professionalism. ”
Applicants are expected to demonstrate their understanding and application of these values throughout the selection process. View the Constitution here
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Learn to care for women and their families during pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period, fulfilling the complete role of the midwife as expert in normal pregnancy and birth, as well as caring for women experiencing complications
- Study areas including normal childbearing processes, public health, promoting women’s health, acute and emergency midwifery care
- Develop practical skills, under the supervision of a qualified midwife, as you care for women in normal pregnancy, labour and the postnatal period. You will conduct at least 40 deliveries, under the supervision of your midwife mentor, by the time you complete the course
- Gain experience on medical wards, gynaecology wards, surgery, neonatal units, intensive care units, mental health wards, learning about the variety of healthcare team roles and the importance of cross-team working
- Each week you will be learning in the classroom with tutors as well as in clinical areas with a midwife mentor.
- Theory and practice are closely woven together and with the support of your link lecturers and mentors, you will apply the knowledge you learn in the classroom to the clinical skills you are developing as you go.
As well as your maternity care experience you will be placed in non-maternity wards to learn how pregnancy affects, and is affected by, a variety of medical conditions. You will understand how good quality care must involve everyone working together.
As the course proceeds, you will become increasingly independent in your study skills though always supported by your Personal Academic Tutor. In practice too, whilst always under the supervision of a qualified midwife, you will be able to care for women in normal pregnancy, labour and the postnatal period with minimal direction from your mentor.
Reflective learning will help you realise which aspects of your chosen career exploit your strengths the best. Towards the end of the course you will be given opportunities to think about your leadership style and those areas of midwifery practice that may most appeal to you.
You will have the opportunity to practice interview and presentation technique prior to job application and you will have built a profile of practice development. As a qualified midwife, you can apply for midwifery posts in the UK and beyond, or work as an independent midwife within private practice.
Students have progressed to Masters level courses within a year or two of completion. Opportunities are open for midwives to progress to management, research or teaching. Many go on to work in practice development, risk management, or as consultant midwives.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>