The UK aerospace and aeronautical industry is the largest in Europe and the second largest in the world. The sector has seen consistent growth in recent years and supports a growing number of highly skilled, high-value roles in aircraft aerodynamics, wind turbine design and maintenance, aviation management, the defence sector, and aircraft maintenance, repair and operation services.
This broad-based engineering course aims to train the next generation of aerospace professionals by providing technical skills in key areas of aeronautical engineering, supplemented by topics in material sciences, digital manufacturing and management concepts. Our graduates will leave with the advanced technical know-how required to work in the aircraft industry, along with a solid understanding of relevant management concepts.
You will study core modules in Advanced Flight Dynamics, Advanced Computational Aerodynamics and Instrumentation, Unmanned Aero Vehicle Design, Sensor Networks and more, with the choice of optional modules including Aircraft Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul, Composite Materials, Digital Manufacture, and Systems Operation and Management.
You will be supported by our academics and technicians in producing your final-semester dissertation exploring a relevant topic of your choice.
- Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), which ensures you will develop the appropriate skills and knowledge for an engineering career and professional registration.
- Study specialist technical modules related to aeronautical engineering, as well as management modules, such as Engineering Business Environment, to prepare for work in a rapidly changing, globalised world.
- Access our instrumented low-speed wind tunnel and AIRFOX DISO flight simulator facilities to acquire experimental and theoretical skills relevant to aeronautics and wind tunnel testing.
- Learn and use software packages used in aeronautical engineering applications and research, such as MATLAB, ANSYS and OpenFOAM, which will give you the ability to work confidently in an industrial environment.
- Benefit from the research and industrial experience of our teaching staff who have worked in international research institutions, including the National Aeronautical Laboratories India, Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute Russia and AMST-Systemtechnik GmbH Austria.
- Become a member of our DMU Flight Club to design, build and fly unmanned aerial systems (UAS), with the opportunity to participate in an international UAS competition.
- Enhance your employability by choosing to apply for a year-long work placement* to gain valuable practical and professional experience. Past students on related engineering courses have undertaken placements with national and international companies including Airbus UK.
Facilities and features
The Aeronautical Engineering facilities have received significant investment, including dedicated Aeronautical Engineering laboratory spaces and equipment.
This investment means that students can work with a purpose-built subsonic wind tunnel for experimental investigation of aerodynamics, considering different shapes and aircraft test models.
The centrepiece of our facilities is an industry-standard flight simulator AIRFOX DISO, where students can gain can gain experience of flight performance, stability and control of aircraft models, and also validate performance of your own models.
Our Learning Zones and The Greenhouse also provide space for group or individual work and study.
There are 1,600 study places across all library locations, more than 700 computer stations, laptops to borrow, free wi-fi and desktop power outlets.
You can also book rooms with plasma screens, laptops and DVD facilities for group work and presentations, secure an individual study room with adjustable lighting or make use of our assistive technology.
On campus, the main Kimberlin Library offers a space where you can work, study and access a vast range of print materials, with computer stations, laptops, plasma screens and assistive technology also available.
As well as providing a physical space in which to work, we offer online tools to support your studies, and our extensive online collection of resources accessible from our Library website, e-books, specialised databases and electronic journals and films which can be remotely accessed from anywhere you choose.
We will support you to confidently use a huge range of learning technologies, including Blackboard, Collaborate Ultra, DMU Replay, MS Teams, Turnitin and more. Alongside this, you can access LinkedIn Learning and learn how to use Microsoft 365, and study support software such as mind mapping and note-taking through our new Digital Student Skills Hub.
The library staff offer additional support to students, including help with academic writing, research strategies, literature searching, reference management and assistive technology. There is also a ‘Just Ask’ service for help and advice, live LibChat, online workshops, tutorials and drop-ins available from our Learning Services, and weekly library live chat sessions that give you the chance to ask the library teams for help.
Opportunities and careers
This is our innovative international experience programme which aims to enrich your studies and expand your cultural horizons – helping you to become a global graduate, equipped to meet the needs of employers across the world.
Through DMU Global, we offer a wide range of opportunities including on-campus and UK activities, overseas study, internships, faculty-led field trips and volunteering, as well as Erasmus+ and international exchanges.
While overseas DMU Global opportunities are not currently possible, DMU will continue to review government advice and if travel is permitted, we hope to offer a small number of extra-curricular opportunities in the summer of 2021.
Graduates are expected find employment in sectors such as Aeronautical, Aerospace, Automotive, aviation management, defense and industries supporting aircraft Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) services.
Zobacz więcej na stronie uniwersytetu >>
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>