Increasing expectations of ‘anytime, anywhere’ access to network facilities (whether from desktop, laptop, smart phone or tablet) means a constant demand for new networking protocols and technologies to keep up with the needs of a technologically reliant society.
This course is designed to give you knowledge of both wired and wireless technology to enable you to enter a career in this fast-paced industry.
Why choose this course?
- Study with staff active in networking and security research on a course with a balance of focus on wired and wireless technologies, working with a 64-node cluster, and other state-of-the-art equipment including virtualised environments as you advance your knowledge of both theoretical and practical challenges related to grid-computing
- Explore areas including network systems, computer security, networking administration and management, wireless networking, distributed parallel architectures, advanced security countermeasures, professional project management and emerging technologies
- Develop skills related to distributed networks (such as distributed and parallel architectures), ideal if you aim to pursue a career in networking, either in management or network set-up
- Gain in-depth skills in network management and administration (allowing you to work as a Network Manager) including essential security aspects, grid-computing and fault tolerance
- Benefit from developing expertise including components of professional qualifications such as CompTIA Linux+ and EC-Council CEH – equipping you for a career as a Network Engineer/Architect, in IT Support, as a Systems Analyst or Systems/Network Designer or in further study on an MSc by Research, MPhil or PhD.
You will gain valuable skills for a career within the various areas of Computer Science, Information Technology, Computer Networking, and Computer Security, and also those relevant for a much wider range of applications.
Teamwork is an essential element in developing your employability and is part of a number of units in this course. The ‘Social and Professional Project Management’ unit requires you to work in a team to apply industry standard project management methodology that embraces all of these knowledge areas in an integrated way while going through the stages of planning, execution and project control.
You will work as part of a team, take responsibility and make autonomous decisions that impact on the project team performance.