In a world where simultaneous and dynamic emergencies are the new normal, individuals and organisations face ever more challenging situations. Standards in the sector are high but they need to be higher; employers are now demanding that emergency management practitioners are trained, qualified and accountable.
Studied on campus or 100% online, this postgraduate certificate is for professionals working in public and emergency services, private sector or consultancy with a responsibility for assessing and managing risk, developing emergency preparedness, managing incidents, training others and designing and running emergency exercises. Our postgraduate courses have been externally reviewed by an external expert in the Civil Contingencies Secretariat (UK Cabinet Office) and meet the requirements of government and other organisations, helping to ensure that our graduates have the skills and knowledge to deal with complex and large-scale emergencies upon successful completion of the course.
Coventry University understands the current challenges facing our emergency management community. The course curriculum and assessment is designed and constantly refreshed, making it suitable for those who are already working within emergency planning and management as well as those looking to embark on a career within the field.
This course will provide you with the opportunity to further develop the core knowledge you need to drive forward excellence in assessing risks, planning for emergency preparedness and developing a culture of resilience within your organisation and for those you serve.
Why Coventry University?
An award-winning university, we are committed to providing our students with the best possible experience. We continue to invest in both our facilities and our innovative approach to education. Our students benefit from industry-relevant teaching, and resources and support designed to help them succeed. These range from our modern library and computing facilities to dedicated careers advice and our impressive Students’ Union activities.
The four modules which comprise this postgraduate certificate are created to provide you with the opportunity to gain a master’s-level qualification in a directly relevant discipline.
Employers recognise that the challenges found in postgraduate study positively changes the way you analyse problems and create solutions. This course provides you with a space to network with others from a diverse range of experience and disciplines, to learn and apply concepts, theories and academic skills to professional practice.
This course can be studied on campus or 100% online. The course’s flexibility and delivery pattern of 4.5-day blocks enables full-time students to develop their knowledge alongside opportunities to gain practical experience. Alternatively, as a full-time student, you can study 100% online across a ten-week teaching period whilst also gaining practical experience in the workplace. The part-time route allows those already in emergency management to balance their studies with other work and life commitments and apply academic rigour to their practical experience. Whilst we would like to give you all the information about our part-time offering here, it is tailored for each course each year depending on the number of part-time applicants. Therefore, the part-time teaching arrangements vary. Please request information about studying this course part-time.
You will have opportunities to reflect on, and further develop, essential technical and non-technical skills in emergency management, leadership, working together, personal resilience and working in multi-agency teams. You will advance your skills in evaluating complex situations, developing creative and innovative solutions, and implementing post-incident learning. There will be opportunities to take part in training and exercises through simulated emergency scenarios in our state-of-the art, immersive simulation suite.
Coventry University was the first UK university to establish courses in disaster management and emergency planning over 20 years ago (Hulse & Moseley 1998) and is still a leading provider of Higher Education courses and Consultancy services in emergency and disaster management capabilities. We have more than 25 years of alumni who sit in senior positions in emergency management across the world.
As a Coventry University graduate, upon successful completion of the course you should have gained the skills you need to move your career in emergency preparedness and management forward, both in the UK and overseas. These skills and knowledge are transferable – dealing with risk, problem solving, decision making under uncertainty, team and leadership skills and place you in an enviable position to pursue a career in a wide range of public sector and industry occupations.
Why choose this course?
- Coventry University is one of the few higher education institutions that aims to provide a course which can be studied 100% online or in 4.5-day face-to-face module blocks on campus at postgraduate-level in order to provide the depth and rigour required for development, reflection and networking in this sector.*
- A curriculum designed and mapped to industry standards.
- Coventry University is a leader in digital learning. This expertise is applied to our campus delivery, which is supported by our innovative online social learning platform, allowing you to undertake substantial parts of your study at home where you can revisit classroom delivery.
- Opportunities for recognition of prior learning and experience (RPL/RPEL) on a case-by-case basis (evidence required). Please see the course specification for further information.
- All assessments are designed to be of value to both you and your employer – no examinations.
- Our student-centred approach: Coventry University has been rated 5 Stars for Teaching Excellence and Employability (QS Stars 2020) and has been rated a top 15 UK university 5 years running (Guardian University Guide 2016-2020).
- Access to our library’s electronic resources 24/7, including thousands of books, ejournals and newspapers.
- Dedicated support for those who are new to Higher Education, or returning after a long break, with additional modules designed to transition you into postgraduate study and support you as you learn to research.
* As an innovative and enterprising institution, the University may seek to utilise emerging technologies within the student experience. For all courses (whether on-campus, blended, or distance learning), the University may deliver certain contact hours and assessments via online technologies and methods.
Wiza studencka do Wielkiej Brytanii
Aby studiować w Wielkiej Brytanii potrzebujesz wizy studenckiej. Aby złożyć wniosek o taką wizę studencką musisz zdjać certyfikat językowy na poziomie B2.
Uważaj! Do celów wizowych musisz wybrać wyłącznie egzamin w wesji Secure English Language Test (SELT) UKVI .
Co to jest test SELT UK VI registration? Przeczytaj więcej o testach SELT UKVI >>