The growth and commercialisation of sport and rapid development of digital and social media tools makes sports journalism an exciting and fast-moving branch of the industry.
This specialist course enables you to develop the practical and critical skills needed by 21st century sports journalists – covering the traditional research and writing skills as well as those needed to handle new and developing media forms.
Inform your journalism with knowledge of the wider political, social, historical and economic sporting environment, and gain core communication skills, and ethical and legal knowledge essential to all journalists.
The University of Bedfordshire’s Sport Journalism team had the task of delivering live commentary and interviewing the players of a Luton FC match. See the team in action in this video.
WHY CHOOSE THIS COURSE?
- Learn core practical and critical skills in journalism, and apply them to a sports specialism
- Study sports law and governance as well as gaining multimedia skills
- Develop a portfolio of work and contacts while honing your journalism skills through regular newsdays
- Gain practical, real-life journalism experience and transferable skills highly valued by graduate employers in many industries
- Explore opportunities for practical professional experience
- Benefit from a course that could lead to a career as a sports journalist, news journalist, web content manager, public relations officer, teacher and manager, of into further study
- First class tuition in both sports reporting and general journalism across a range of platforms from industry specialists
- Opportunity to have your own radio show on our community radio station, RadioLab
- Report from Year 1 for our news website
- Master the law and the regulation you need to operate as a professional journalist
- Study the world of sport in depth, hearing from leading academics and participants
- Great trips and lots of guest speakers from the world of both sport and the media
Sports media has seen a growth in PR and web opportunities that Sports Journalism graduates can explore. The journalism team works closely with employers within the industry, successful graduates and the Careers and Employability Service at the University of Bedfordshire. These links result in talks and practical professional experience events enabling you to build contacts and network within your area of interest.
Professional skills and values underpin this course and are an integral part of teaching and learning within all units. We assist every student to develop the ability to evaluate effectively and reflect on their own and work of others, and understand the demands and requirements of employers.